Blessing of the Animals 2013 (part 1)

Hi Everyone!  I’m still on hiatus around here.  However, it was that time of the year, where the Celebration of St. Francis of Assisi Day was held at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine.  I wanted to share my photos with you.  I’ve put the photos in two posts.

Paz

Many people attended the church service with their pets.

Towards the end of the service, a special procession of other animals walked into the church.

At the end of the service, the handler removed the wreath around the llama’s neck.

I think the llama was very relieved.

What animal is this?  I heard someone call it a bull and another call it a bison.

After the service as over, he was very hesitant to walk down the stairs.

He took a few steps and then stopped.  He wouldn’t move.

His wise handlers decided not to force him to walk.

They relaxed with him, waiting for him to decide to move again.

If you’re interested, you can see more photos BELOW

Share and Enjoy!

24 Responses

1. these are great Paz! thanks for sharing. I saw this on the news Sunday morning but they didn’t show any good pictures.
    It looked like everyone turned out where you were!
    ; )
    Enjoy your hiatus.

October 7, 2013 at 11:08 pm

• Hi Lily: There are always a lot of people and their pets who show up for this event. It’s fun. Thanks for stopping by! xoxo
      Paz

October 8, 2013 at 2:24 am

2. Oh wonderful! Thanks for sharing your pictures with us.

Cheers,

Rosa

October 8, 2013 at 2:04 am

• Hi Rosa! My pleasure to share with you all! xox
      Paz

October 8, 2013 at 2:25 am

3. Awesome! Welcome back (er … for as long as you’re around the blog-o-sphere, at least)!

October 8, 2013 at 3:13 pm

• LOL! Thanks, David! And happy belated birthday! :-)
      Paz

October 8, 2013 at 9:23 pm

4. Hi Paz! So good to see you here, if only for these posts. I love your photos, both Parts! The “bison” is a long-horn steer (male, castrated cow). I doubt it was a bull (an intact male) because they’re usually not so calm as this guy seems to be. Probably more info than you wanted, huh? Take care, Sweetie!

October 8, 2013 at 3:42 pm

• LOL! Thanks Christine. That’s very interesting information. I’m glad I know now. And yes, this guy was very calm. Bison, he is then! I’m glad to know the difference now. :-)

Paz

October 8, 2013 at 9:24 pm

5. H

Oh how I LOVE this!!!

That freakin’ bison was HUGE. Who would have thought a bison would be brought to the service! Where does one keep a bison in NYC? Loved the camel too.

How lucky you are to have witnessed this. Thank you so much for sharing

October 8, 2013 at 5:04 pm

6. Hi H: It was pretty cool to see him. Yeah, where DOES one keep a bison in the city? LOL! I’m sure he came from farm upstate or something. My fave was when an elephant used join the procession. Unfortunately, he died a few years back. I never get tired of watching the all the different animals go to church. :-)

Paz

October 8, 2013 at 9:29 pm

7. The animal everyone thinks may be a bison is an oxen named Pat, he is a perfect gentleman and lives at thesanctuaryforanimals in westtown ,n.y..
    He does not have to do oxen duties and is retired from the physical labor ,once in awhile he gets to go to the city for a photograph or event .this was his first time to the blessing and has been invited back next year ,

October 10, 2013 at 6:36 pm

• Hi Bambi: Welcome! Oh, an oxen! How very interesting! I’m learning so much! Awesome! I’m glad Pat will come back next year. Thanks for the info.
      Paz

October 11, 2013 at 11:43 am

8. My sister the handler just told me he is a Devon ,,,that is his breed of bovine(cattle),.
    Thank you for the lovely photos of the animals,i

October 10, 2013 at 6:45 pm

• Hi again, Bambi: A Devon? I like to learn something new everyday. Thanks for stopping by and sharing this info with us. BTW, I enjoyed watching the handlers with Pat. They were so gentle and patient with him. Thanks for stopping by.
      Paz

October 11, 2013 at 11:47 am

9. tanita

As always, Paz, I so appreciate you taking pictures of this — the affection and the spectacle is always such a treat. My faves this year were the tortoise and that huge Devon bull and the camel. And I love the vestments – the priests are looking pretty snazzy, too. What a fun morning.

October 11, 2013 at 7:05 pm

• Thanks, Tanita! I’m glad you could stop by. I always enjoy this event. It’s lots of fun!

Paz

October 12, 2013 at 12:56 am

10. So lovely to see all these beautiful animals beeing blessed!
    Many hugs!

October 12, 2013 at 10:37 pm

• Hi Sonia: So glad you could stop by! Beijos!
      Paz xoxo

October 14, 2013 at 10:59 am

11. Hi Paz,
    I have no idea how I missed these 2 posts on the Blessing of the Animals Service. I think its amazing, unique, extraordinary and utterly beautiful. THANK YOU for doing such a worthy and poignant coverage of such a wonderful and spiritual event for all our creatures, great and small.
    I’m glad you called by, it prompted me to get on over here and visit!!
    Take care, don’t stay away too long now.
    x

November 18, 2013 at 5:48 am

• Paz UNITED STATES

Hi Rose! So glad you could stop by! Big hug from NYC!
      Paz xoxo

November 19, 2013 at 2:48 am

12. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful images about the blessing of the animals, beautiful post!

November 19, 2013 at 2:46 am

• Paz UNITED STATES

Hi Pietro: Good to see you. Thanks for stopping by!

Paz

November 19, 2013 at 2:49 am

13. Hi Paz!

It was so good to hear from you! I loved seeing the animals in this post. That is definitely not a bison –it is a bull.

As you could see from my post, my life is so different now, but if I close my eyes I feel like I am back in Brooklyn :) I do miss a lot, but I love being close to my grand kids and children.

Hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Hugs,

Pat

November 19, 2013 at 4:31 am

• Paz UNITED STATES

Hi Pat: Glad everything is well with you and your family. Glad you’re enjoying and able to blog about your new surroundings. Glad you could stop by. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! xox

Paz