Umm… What’s a Dove Doing in my Bedroom?

I returned home, after running some errands.

When I walked into my bedroom, I found a big surprise waiting for me

A mourning dove sitting on my bed.

We jumped at the sight of each other and I stopped at the doorway.

What was a mourning dove doing in my room!?

Oh crap!

No, really.   Crap!

That’s what the dove left on my bed.

Earlier, I’d removed the bed spread, and now,

the dove had left me a present on my bed sheet.

Back to the question:

What was a mourning dove doing in my room!?

I leave the window screen up, so that I can take photos of the birds when I want.

I like to have fresh air in the room, so I leave the window open, a little.

I didn’t think a mourning dove could fit through that little space.

Obviously, I was wrong.

The bird sat on my bed quietly but fidgeted.

After I recovered, from my initial shock,

I decided to simply walk over to the window and open it wider,

so that the dove would fly out of the room.

Turns out that it was a big mistake.

Big.

The dove panicked and started flying haphazardly in the room,

banging into the closed window.

That got me panicked and scared.

Oh why couldn’t it figure out how to go through the open space

in the window, the way it came in?

Why couldn’t it just stay calm and allow me to walk over to the window and open it wider?

When I stepped away from the window and the dove, she calmed down.

We eyeballed each other, cautiously.

The dove stared at me from my bed and I returned the look from the doorway.

After a few minutes, I decided to call someone — my mom.

Turns out that she was on the bus heading downtown.

Thankfully she turned around and came to help me.

While I stayed outside of the room, my mom walked into my room,

opened the window and directed the panicked bird out the window.

Whew!

Thank God for my mom.  If she hadn’t helped out,

the dove and I would still be having a staring contest.

It would have also left me more presents on my bed.

For a while it was quiet around the feeder.

About 30 minutes later, the doves returned to the feeder like nothing had happened.

They acted as if one of their own had never disappeared through the magic window.

It was back to business as usual as they ate their food.

Every once in a while, the birds stop and look through the window,

as if to try to look into the room — the place

where one of their own had disappeared and returned to tell them about.

I have to go now, so please excuse me.

I have laundry to do.

Paz

Share and Enjoy!

14 Responses

1. What an adventure! That’s the reason why I never leave my windows open when I go out as you never know what can fly into your apartment… ;-)

Cheers,

Rosa

May 2, 2013 at 4:48 am

• Paz UNITED STATES

Hi Rosa: I have learned my lesson. :-D

Paz

May 2, 2013 at 1:12 pm

2. Hedone UNITED STATES

Incredible. That is some story. So glad the bird didn’t hurt itself. Great pics.

May 2, 2013 at 10:43 am

• Paz UNITED STATES

Hi Hedone: Yes, I, too, am glad the bird didn’t hurt itself. That was my biggest fear. Whew!

Paz :-)

May 2, 2013 at 1:13 pm

3. tanita

Hahaha! Oh, no!! “Presents” not so welcome, and unexpected. At least your pillow was left out of the equation. Erg.

I had this horrendous fear that the gulls would get into our bathroom in Stirling; it seemed all the birds and a rare selection of wasps just loved to hang about that window ledge!

May 2, 2013 at 3:00 pm

• Hi Tanita: I’m glad the dove left my pillow alone. Whew! How interesting that all the birds AND wasps(? Yikes!) loved your bathroom window ledge. I’m glad you didn’t have to deal with finding one inside the bathroom, but I’m sure it would have been quite a story to tell. :-)
      Paz

May 3, 2013 at 1:22 pm

4. I think this is a funny tale. Actually, I do the same thing here in my office. In the summer, the windows are sliders. So you can slide one half over and then there is a screen. I try to shoot photos through the glass but sometimes I want to take a picture through space and will open everything and take the picture. Sometimes I walk away and leave the window part way open. My wife keeps telling me one of the tree rats (she has been known to call them — squirrels) is going to come through and how are we going to get it out? I can imagine that process as the squirrel would panic and run, jump, and try to find a way out. Fortunately, we have not had one get in.

May 2, 2013 at 4:11 pm

• Hi Abraham: My mom is still laughing. The dove and I are just relieved. :-) Hmm… Shooting through space. Maybe, I’ll try it and hope the birds don’t fly in when I’m there. LOL! Funny that Patty calls the squirrels “tree rats”. I don’t think I’d want a panicked squirrel in my room. That would be an experience, indeed. I glad none ever made it into your office.

Paz

May 3, 2013 at 1:25 pm

5. A wonderful story!
    Well, I’m not sure about the poop in bed bit –other than that rather fun!

May 5, 2013 at 7:17 am

• Paz UNITED STATES

Hi Elizabeth: Thanks! :-)
      Paz

May 5, 2013 at 4:22 pm

6. Cute story :) I think that the dove just went on adventure, maybe it brought you good luck.

/Hanne

May 5, 2013 at 4:36 pm

• Paz UNITED STATES

Hi Hanne: I hope so. I need all the luck I can get. :-)
      Paz

May 5, 2013 at 4:40 pm

7. Hi Paz, LOL your story made me laugh!! Just imagining the bird leaving his stuff on your bed :( and your mum shooing him out :(
    Have a nice day!

May 10, 2013 at 2:44 am

• Paz UNITED STATES

Hi Carin: Nice to see you here. Yes, it was a funny story (after it happened). I hav been extra nice to my mom. LOL! Have a nice day, too. :-)
      Paz