Morningside Park Cats

Back in January/February as I walked past the edge of the Morningside Park, I’d see some stray kittens.

They never came close to the fence and they minded their own business.

Then one day, I saw a woman putting food and water by the fence and I stopped to talk to her.

She obviously knew how to care for cats.

(overturned cat food on the ground)

She told me, however, that she didn’t know how to catch them.

She knew a vet who would examine them and give them medical care, while waiting for a family to adopt them.

She just needed to be able to catch them.

However, the cats would not come close to humans.

They stayed far away or ran in the opposite direction.

She asked if I could help her feed them.

She came twice a day and put food and water out there for them.

Although I’m a dog person and know nothing about caring for cats, I agreed.

I saw 11 kittens and at least 4 adult cats.

The lady told me that she normally fed them dry cat food.

But they loved canned food (which was more expensive, of course).

I stopped by the supermarket and went to buy some cat food.

I got dizzy.   There were so many types of cat food.

I had no idea, which one to choose.

The dry cat food was the cheapest for the amount of food contained.

However, I wanted to treat the cats to something they really enjoyed,

So I looked at the canned/wet food.

Oh, what should I choose?

Did I mention I was getting dizzy?

This Fancy Feast sounded pretty fancy, indeed.  Also expensive.

Should I choose 9 Lives?

I finally picked something I could afford.

For a few weeks, the kittens would only approach the food and water when I didn’t stand close to the fence.

Then, one day, this particular kitten approached the food, even though I was still in sight.

She must have been hungry because she didn’t wait for me to leave.

She ate the food but watched me closely.

I was mesmerized watching her eat.

She ate everything in the container and licked it clean.

The rest of the cats stayed in the distance and watched.

The cats were normally fast and I could never take a photo of them until now.

This white cat would always hide under a bush and watch.

The other day, I saw a man feeding the cats at another location in the park.

It was good to see someone else caring for the cats.

I’m glad spring is here, now.

The weather should be much favorable for these stray cats.

Perhaps, in the near future, someone will be able to catch the cats and find good homes for them.

Paz

Share and Enjoy!

22 Responses

1. so sweet of you & the others Paz! my cat was a feral cat that adopted us when she had her kittens in our yard. she was a sweety who would only come to me (after a few months of feeding her everyday) at first but then over a year or two would approach other family members. I had to put thick gloves on to catch her & put her in a neighbor’s cat carrier to take her to the vet. When I think back on the experience I find it hard to believe I did that – she was fierce.
    your kitties pictured here sure are pretty.

April 15, 2013 at 4:23 pm

• Paz UNITED STATES

Lily: How smart of your cat to adopt you. She did well. I can imagine you with the gloves to catch her. These cats are just too fast. When they see a human or a human looking their way, they scram as fast as they can. I’m not a cat person but I’d take that little kitty home with me. :-) Loved your story about your cat.

Paz

April 15, 2013 at 7:09 pm

2. So glad you are getting the kitties some yummy treats!
    In Morocco we used to feed lots of these sorts of fierce character.
    I used to buy canned food in the new part of town….until the great Whiskas shortage
    of 2008……
    Poor Buster gets to eat the same stuff every day!

HAPPY SPRING

April 16, 2013 at 12:18 pm

• Hi Elizabeth: Those Moroccan cats were lucky you used to feed them. :-) I think lucky Buster is happy we anything and everything he eats. ;-)

Paz xoxo

April 17, 2013 at 11:57 am

3. Thank you for caring!!
    Cats love canned tuna too:)
    Feral cats have a not a good life.
    They have to endure weather extremes such as cold and snow, heat and rain. They also face starvation, infection and attacks by other animals. Unfortunately, almost half of the kittens born outdoors die from disease, exposure or parasites before their first year.

April 18, 2013 at 3:42 am

• Paz UNITED STATES

Gisella: What a sad life. :-( Thanks for the tip about canned tuna!

Paz

April 18, 2013 at 1:23 pm

4. Sweet, this is sooo sweet! Stray cats have such a tough life, so this is lovely what you, and this other lady are doing in feeding the cats. Bless you! I love me a kitty tale/tail, you know. :o) ((HUGS))

April 19, 2013 at 8:11 am

• Hi Tracy: It’s really nice and inspiring of the lady (Shari) to do what she’s been doing. And there are other people helping: A young girl and man. There are lots of good people out there, thankfully. I love me a good kitty tail, too. :-)

Paz

April 22, 2013 at 6:53 pm

5. Shari UNITED STATES

Hello I emailed you a few minutes ago after seeing your posting. Lovely pictures and write-up!
    I’m the woman feeding the cats since Hurricane Sandy. I feed them wet and dry food , plus water, give them toys and talk with them when I feed them.

I hired a professional trapper and a foster person. We caught seven kittens/cats and got all medical treatment. One kitten was near death and the vet quickly and lovingly put her to sleep. The others were all neutered and vaccinated, plus de-flead. One cat had one eye with an infection which was treated.
    We were able to get two kittens adopted. Two kittens did not get their ears clipped as we tried to get them adopted but ran out of time and money sadly.The black and white kitten in the photos was medically treated (ear not clipped).
    I finally found the man who also feeds the cats and we will meet and coordinate our efforts with cat care. He mentioned a woman who also feeds the cats. I found one previous student of mine who assisted in feeding the cats. The A.P. of the school where I teach assists with food for the cats and assisted with the medical costs. I found a young student with her family and she is collecting money for more TNR work. It is wonderful to find a team of people to work with.
    It is important to clean up empty food dishes so the parks people do not get upset with us. It is also important to be careful of people who do not like cats for obvious reasons.
    Several cats may be pregnant and I pray we can continue to give all these kittens / cats the care they all need.
    Shari

April 20, 2013 at 11:02 pm

• Hi Shari! How wonderful to see you here! Thank you for everything you’ve been doing for the cats. You’re very inspiring. It’s terrific to know that a lot others have been helping and the cats have been receiving help. I’ll give you a call.

Paz

April 21, 2013 at 8:57 am

6. Shari UNITED STATES

Thank you for writing to me. Thank you for your help!! It’s wonderful to have teamwork!! Yes, the cats love Fancy Feast as I’ve mentioned before, but the cans are small. They also love 9 Lives, tuna, chicken with beef, etc.
    Please call me when you have some spare time.
    Thank you, Paz!!
    Shari

April 21, 2013 at 9:03 am

7. Shari UNITED STATES

P.S. Yes, I also feed them regular tuna…they like tuna in oil.

April 21, 2013 at 9:04 am

8. So kind and sweet of you and of the other lady too!
    These cats are lucky to have lovely people around them.
    Beautiful cats photos.
    Have a pleasant Sunday.

April 21, 2013 at 2:42 pm

9. Shari UNITED STATES

They were waiting for food today and Scrimshaw “Sam” was sitting on top of the rock waiting to be fed! Approximately 8 kittens . cats appeared. They had crunches, water and Fancy Feast.
    I cleaned up empty containers of old food, and left crunches at the fenced area under the tree opposite p.S. 125. At 3 p.m. two kittens were roaming around the tree so they received 9 Lives food and still had dry food and water to hold them through the night.
    I may have to stay home tomorrow as I caught a bad cold. If anyone can offer them some food tomorrow that would be wonderful. Hopefully the weather will warm up.
    I left them more toys on top of the rock.
    xoxoxoxo s

April 22, 2013 at 5:55 pm

• Shari: I tried to get there around 12 but was running behind and never made it. When I passed by earlier there was food. Yay! I’ll pass by tomorrow.

Paz

April 22, 2013 at 6:58 pm

10. Shari UNITED STATES

p.s. crunchies (dry food) for kittens Purina brand…they seem to like the brand.

April 22, 2013 at 5:56 pm

11. Helen Myers UNITED STATES

Ah, you finally got some photos of the cats’n kittens. How sweet. They look well taken care of, and clean. That’s heartening. It’s so good of you to help, Paz. Bless you!

May 13, 2013 at 8:34 am

12. Paz UNITED STATES

Thanks, Helen. I just keep an eye out for them. There are a lot of nice people who do a lot more.

Paz :)