Happy New Year 2013!

I’m sorry I’ve been missing in action here for quite some time.  I trust that everyone has been having a nice holiday celebration.

On Christmas eve, I had the craziest idea to go downtown and do some Christmas shopping.   It was an especially crazy idea for me because I hate to shop under normal circumstances, much less on one of the most busiest shopping times of the year.    I also hate crowds and I was heading downtown to an area crowded with locals and tourists — around 34th Street, near Macy’s department store.

This is the sight that met me when I came out of the subway station.

It was certainly crowded.

There were people shopping, tourists sightseeing, people trying to catch the bus and trains.

This area is packed with plenty to see and do — the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, Macy’s, other shopping outlets, food establishments and Penn Station.

Despite the crowds, everyone moved easily on the sidewalks and crossing the streets.  It was almost like an intricate dance.  No one bumped into each other. There were no accidents and everyone seemed to go where they wanted without a problem.

The "Believe" sign on Macy’s department building was not hard to miss.  It’s mainly inspired by the 1947 movie, "Miracle on 34th Street" — believe in the spirit and miracle of Christmas.   The sign is also inspired by the 1897 New York Sun editorial "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus".

Virginia sending a letter to the newspaper editors, asking whether Santa Claus exists.

If any of you are wondering whether I managed to do good shopping, my answer is no.  I bought nothing.  I went to a store in the area.   The place was a zoo!  It was packed with excited and determined people, grabbing items off the shelves and there were extremely long lines to pay for the items.   I only lasted 5 minutes in the store before I walked out.  The environment and energy was just too crazy for me to do any shopping.  I got back on  an equally crowded subway train and returned home.

All in all, I had a very nice Christmas Day celebration and I’m very grateful.

I wish everyone a healthy, happy, prosperous New Year 2013, filled with all good things.  Thank you for stopping by my blog.

Paz xoxo

Share and Enjoy!

26 Responses

1. Hello Paz! the photos are amazing – you captured NYC ‘pulsing’ on one of its busiest evenings of the year! I could feel the energy :)

It’s already New Years Day here, so HAPPY NEW YEAR Paz!

December 31, 2012 at 6:45 pm

• Happy New Year, dear Rose!!!

Paz xoxo

December 31, 2012 at 6:56 pm

2. Happy New Year, Paz! May 2013 bring you happiness and good health.

December 31, 2012 at 8:21 pm

• Thank you, dear Lydia! Same to you!

Paz xoxo

December 31, 2012 at 9:57 pm

3. Happy New Year, Paz! I’m guessing, based on this post, you won’t be going to Time Square this evening. (Nor would I…crowds are too much for me!) I look forward to seeing more of you here in 2013. All the best to you and yours.

December 31, 2012 at 9:38 pm

• LOL! Sara, you’re right. I am staying far, far away from that area. I’m safe and sound in the comfort of my warm, cozy home.
      It’s nice and peaceful and I like it that way. Later, I may bake some New Year’s cookies. Maybe.
      Happy, Happy New Year! Thanks for your good wishes. I hope to be more productive here in the coming New Year.

Paz xox

December 31, 2012 at 10:00 pm

4. Happy New Year,
    Merisi

So good to hear from you again!

January 1, 2013 at 7:01 am

• Thank you Merisi! Happy New Year!
      Paz xoxo

January 1, 2013 at 2:10 pm

5. HAPPY NEW YEAR, DEAR PAZ

super photo of a place I recognize.

Lots of love and hoping to see you soon!

oxoxo

Buster says hi too!

January 1, 2013 at 7:39 am

• Hi Elizabeth: I hope to see you and Buster very soon!

Paz xoxo

January 1, 2013 at 2:10 pm

6. Hello Paz…
    Wish you a New Year
    filled with peace,
    prosperity and happiness.
    Take care,
    Gisela

January 1, 2013 at 7:46 am

• Thank you, dear Gisela! I wish the same to you!
      Paz xo

January 1, 2013 at 2:11 pm

7. Nothing like Xmas in NYC! ;o) LOVE seeing all the lights! Thank you for sharing your perspective on the City here, Paz. Wishing you & yours all the very best of LOVE, PEACE & JOY in 2013! ((HUGS))

January 1, 2013 at 9:32 am

• Thank you, Birthday Girl! I wish you all the best, too!

Paz xo

January 1, 2013 at 2:11 pm

8. Wonderful views, Paz.
    I wish you a very Joyful New Year 2013!

January 2, 2013 at 1:08 am

9. i hear you about the crowds…but would you believe i once stood (for too many hours) at times square on new years… 2001, i think it was, it had snowed a lot on previous days and it was bitterly cold. been there, done that, never again!

wish you a very happy and adventurous new year!

January 2, 2013 at 11:35 am

• Hi Liisamarja: If you notice, mainly tourists go to Times Square and stand there for hours. I suppose it is nice to be
      able to say they went there for New Year’s. I prefer my nice cozy bed. ;-)
      I’m impressed with you, however, for being able to do that. ;-)

Paz

January 14, 2013 at 4:56 am

10. Hello dear Paz. It’s so nice to “see” you here again! Your photos depict the frenetic hustle and bustle of NYC on Christmas Eve perfectly. At least to my untrained, never-been-to-New-York eye. :)
    I wish a happy, healthy and prosperous 2013 for you! And more posts! I’ll try too! :)

January 2, 2013 at 12:10 pm

• Thank you , dear Christine! I wish you the same. Yes, let’s try to do more posts this year! xoxox
      Paz

January 14, 2013 at 4:58 am

11. I am still groping along with Blogger and trying new blogs but the fans seem to have migrated to FaceBook which seems to be less intimidating
    to most people. I am there too but it is about as exciting as your coming out of the subway
    to see a multicolored stream of people — strangers — with pockets full of money to spend and
    they walk into the stores you want to go into. I am mostly blogging for my amusement as you
    can tell by the title. I think the best blog is about my dog, Pepper Jax. Glad to see you are still
    around and about.

January 4, 2013 at 8:22 am

• Hi Abraham: Glad to see you here. Also glad that Pepper Jax has a new blog. I’m goingto check it out!

Paz

January 14, 2013 at 5:02 am

12. Aha Paz, a good example of being in the right place at right time AND why a blogger should always have their camera on them, not matter what!!
    Terrific find!

January 8, 2013 at 8:10 pm

• Thanks, Rose! I try to have my camera with me all the time. Try. ;-)

Paz

January 14, 2013 at 5:03 am

13. Dear Paz,
    Wishing you and your Mom a Wonderful New Year filled with much Happiness, Joy, Good Health and Peace!

Love so much your urban photos on NY at Christmas.
    Again, I reiterate myself… I would love to be there with you!
    Beijos.

January 11, 2013 at 11:42 am

• Hi Sonia: Thank you for your good wishes! I wish the same for you and your family! Beijos!

Paz xoxo